I read a post over at engadget a couple weeks ago on a push email client called emoze. (Click here for the post) I don’t currently receive email on my cell phone, although free push email such as emoze certainly makes me think twice about it.
This post is not about the ability of emoze, or even that it’s free. Very interesting ideas, but this blog is mostly about, marketing. So this post will be about, their marketing at CTIA.
Check out the poster below:
emoze went head-to-head (back-to-back as the poster says) with BlackBerry in a wireless showdown. Wow! What a great idea. It’s great for a couple reasons:
- it’s interesting idea that connects us to years of yore
- if they lose the competition, they still get their name out
- if they win, they have beaten the dominant mobile email service provider, that’s like beating Kleenex at being a tissue!
- if BlackBerry had said no, or didn’t show up it could cause even more stir!
- They’ve got nothing to lose, so they fully embraced the adage, of “go big or go home”
It creates a fun story that people can tell. I wasn’t at the event so I’m not sure how hyped up they made it. But I can only imagine the performance possibilities. I can just see people walking by and saying, “what in the world is going on over there?” Then taking out their BlackBerry and telling a bunch of people about the event they just witnessed.
It also creates an emotional bond. We want someone to win, and if we have a BlackBerry we’ll probably be rooting for them…but I’m sure many people that hate Microsoft also hate RIM for their total dominance in market and would love to see them lose, even in a little showdown like this.
I think it’s a good idea. It makes me wonder how I can do something similar?
What about you, can you do something like this?
Oh by the way…..emoze won.
have a great day!